APPLE YOGURT QUINOA

23/06/2012


I like waking up early, hearing the birds sing, seeing the weak sun become stronger as it works it's way up the sky, having the house quiet and to myself. Amsterdam is a city that wakes up late, even the markets tend not to be open before 10 and people don't show up until noon. 

In Canada I did things in the morning but since moving here I've learned to appreciate them as a time when I can do nothing because no one else is doing anything. A time to relax and not be busy.

Weekend mornings also lead to a bit more time to think about what I'll have for breakfast other than just toast or oatmeal. Today it's quinoa in an apple yogurt format.


Apple Yogurt Quinoa
serves 1

1/4 cup quinoa
1/4 apple
1 tbsp raisins
2 pinches of cinnamon
1/4 cup yogurt (I use pouring yogurt, like a kefir)
1-2 tsps of honey
sprinkle of seeds

Cook the quinoa in water as per instructions.

Dice up the apple in small cubes.

When the quinoa is cooked, drain it, immediately add first pinch of cinnamon, the apples and raisins. Stir through so the fruit gets warmed.

Place the quinoa in a bowl, pour over the yogurt, drizzle with honey, add a pinch of cinnamon, a sprinkle of seeds and you're golden.

Enjoy breakfast.





No comments:

Post a Comment