OATMEAL COOKIES

03/06/2012

Oatmeal is delicious, I eat it almost every day. Cookies are also delicious, unfortunately, I don't eat them almost every day. I actually don't even get cravings for them that often...

Today though... today was different. The cookie craving decided to pay a visit and I suppose since it hit around breakfast I was really, really craving oatmeal cookies. Sometimes those cravings just strike don't they? COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE. So out came the baking utensils, my bag of oatmeal, a generous helping of butter and my wooden mixing spoon, (cookies just aren't the same when they're not mixed by wooden spoon, I like to stay classic that way).

This might come as a surprise but I don't like to have loads of sweets hanging around the house so I jiggled this recipe around to only make a dozen cookies—enough to last an afternoon—and I promise these dozen cookies are worth it. They're chewy, oldfashioned and delicious, like an oatmeal cookie should be. They're also fully approved by my favourite oatmeal cookie munching munchkin, Bella who came to visit today and filled my flat with lots of happiness and oatmeal cookie crumbs!


Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from Joy the Baker
makes about 1 dozen cookies

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cups uncooked oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins or chocolate chips, optional

Mix the sugar, butter and vanilla in a bowl until soft and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until blended.

Whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add to the butter and egg mixture slowly mix in until just incorporated.

Stir in the raisins or chocolate chips if desired.

Drop heaping spoonfuls of the dough on a prepared baking sheet and bake at 175 degrees C for 10 to 13 minutes or until they're golden.

Allow the cookies to cool down before you tuck in.


No comments:

Post a Comment